It was all planned out. This month’s B4Peace post was finished a week ago and scheduled to be published on Saturday, while my family traveled. That way, I figured, I wouldn’t have to worry about content while enjoying Spring/Easter vacation. But alas, when I went to check on the post Friday afternoon, half of it was gone. Vanished. And there was just no way I would be able to bring back the mood and tone of that particular piece of work. Believe it or not I was fine about losing the words, they weren’t mine anyway — just some things that Life wanted to say through me and apparently only for me — No I was more disturbed by having to come up with more original content hours before heading to the airport.
But then Life gave me an idea…“take it to the people.”
“You’ll be at the airport anyway,” this is Life speaking by the way, “and isn’t this whole thing about spreading peace –not only on the internet and blogs but also sharing it with those around you? What’s a better way to do that than walk up to strangers and get them to talk about peace for a minute or two?”
First of all, Life is rude because Life knows I’m introverted and am not trying to talk to strangers. Life also knows my wife is not trying to have me talk to female strangers. But alas, I surrendered to Life a long time ago and now It’s telling me to go do this thing….
So that’s what I did, and here is what they said:
Q: How do you create peace in your life?
1. “I just try to be nice others.” — Male, 39 years old, waiting patiently at a large table while his family of 3 kids and one wife scrambled throughout the food court.
2. “Sit in silence and close my eyes.” — Female, 55 years old, janitorial staff, hanging out by a large garbage can, people watching, and enjoying the show.
3. “Surround myself with good people.” — Male, 24 years old, on his way to Nashville to do this exact very thing.
4. “By not thinking about politics.” — Male, 26 years old, walking briskly to an unstated destination.
5. “Doing stuff that makes me happy…like playing sports…football…baseball…” — Male, 43 years old, wearing a Yankees hat, Yankees Tee and a large silver chain (Jesus Piece?) around his neck.
There you have it, a wonderful blueprint for increasing the peace in your world. Be nice, be silent, be with good people, be detached from political thoughts, do things that make you happy.
I was going to ask more people but I stopped early because my introversion kicked in and also Maya was really upset about me leaving the family to go talk to strangers.
Where’s the peace in that?
Until next month….PEACE!
BONUS COVERAGE! And this is what my wife had to say about me talking to strangers at the airport:
BONUS BONUS COVERAGE: Although I’ll never be able to retrieve the exact words I previously thought would be this month’s post, I have found that the general message of that post was summed up wonderfully on the blog Fish of Gold: click here to see what he’s talking about.